A convenient embryotoxicity screening service for in vitro developmental and reproductive toxicity (DART) testing
An automated EST for convenient, affordable embryotoxicity screening
The embryonic stem cell test (EST) is a powerful method to assess the effects of any new compound on cell differentiation and viability. Introduced in 1997, the EST quickly became recognized as the best available method for in vitro embryotoxicity testing as an alternative to prenatal developmental toxicity studies using animals.
However, the classical EST protocol (outlined as ICCVAM/ECVAM INVITTOX No. 113) is laborious and complex, significantly hampering its adoption. InSphero's patented and automation-compatible GravityPLUS™ Hanging Drop System irons out the practical issues with the formation of mouse ESD3 cell-derived embryoid bodies (EB) used in the classical EST protocol.
This method is now offered as the easyEST™ Embryonic Stem Cell Test Service. InSphero's experienced scientific team will test your compounds and rapidly return an easy-to-understand final report. By outsourcing your EST activities to InSphero you'll not only gain important information on your new compounds, as InSphero can offer this service at a fraction of classical EST testing cost – in a range similar to standard toxicology testing.
Seiler AE and Spielmann H. (2011). "The validated embryonic stem cell test to predict embryotoxicity in vitro." Nat Protocols, 6:961-78.
Confocal image of mouse ES cells derived cardiomyocytes. Sarcomeric alpha-actinin (green) actin cytoskeleton (red) and nuclei (blue). Scale bar 15 μm.
What makes easyEST™ so efficient?
The petri dish hanging drop method used in the classical EST protocol to form EBs requires substantial hands-on work, making the process expensive and subject to user-dependent variability. The easyEST™ Embryonic Stem Cell Test Service gives you access to a breakthrough in efficiency and scalability:
- Excellent size uniformity of embryoid bodies (<5%) for better differentiation efficiency
- Consumes less than 50 mg of your valuable compounds (we accommodate liquid stocks or dry compounds)
- Tests the solubility and assay compatibility of your compound
- Automated and efficient EB generation and medium change
- Direct, automated transfer into flat-bottom adherent plate
All relevant aspects of the INVITTOX 113 protocol remain unchanged to allow for a straightforward migration to the easyEST™ Embryonic Stem Cell Test Service.
How do I take this forward?
1. Tell us how many compounds you want to test: 4, 8, 16 or more (volume discounts are available for larger screening projects)
2. InSphero will test as follows using the automated GravityPLUS™ Hanging Drop System:
- Compatibility of compounds with assay
- Range finding (n=6) for both ID50 and IC50
- Embryonic stem cell testing
3. You receive:
- A summary report including IC50 data for 3T3 and ESD3 cells (n=6) and ID50 data for ESD3 cells (n=24)
- Embryotoxic classification with linear discriminants according to ECVAM INVITTOX Protocol No. 113
- A web-based presentation and discussion
Catalog # Description Price in USD SP-03-001-00 easyEST™ Embryonic Stem Cell Test Service Pack – 4 compounds 22,047 SP-03-002-00 easyEST™ Embryonic Stem Cell Test Service Pack – 8 compounds 40,486 SP-03-003-00 easyEST™ Embryonic Stem Cell Test Service Pack – 16 compounds 73,415
Please inquire for different numbers of compounds. Volume discounts for larger testing programs are available.
Documents and downloads