A standardized alternative to primary human pancreatic islets for reproducible, reliable, and more efficient islet and diabetes research
- Long-lived, robust model persisting > 28 days in culture, displaying a larger GSIS assay window, and sensitivity to insulin secretagogues
- Homogeneous islet size and cellular composition eliminates islet pooling and data normalization
- Delivered assay-ready in our 96-well non-adherent microtissue plate, eliminating hand-picking
- Produced regularly, available bi-monthly (dependent on donor islet availability)
InSphero 3D InSight™ Human Islet Microtissue production is dependent on donor availability. Place your order on or before Tuesday at 6 PM CET (12 PM EST) to have your microtissues ship based on the below production schedule. 3D InSight™ Human Islet Microtissues are shipped to customers in the United States and Europe.
For pricing information and shipping costs, please request a quote, indicating the desired model system, the number of plates needed, and the preferred ship date. For more detailed information about the order and shipment dates for all InSphero microtissue products, please see our quarterly production schedule.3D InSight™ Human Islet Microtissues
Production lead time: Dependent on donor islet availability
Catalog # Description Order by ► Ships on: US | EU MT-04-002-01 3D InSight™ Human Islet Microtissues (96x)
Jul 18 ► Jul 25 | Jul 26
Aug 1 ► Aug 8 | Aug 9
CS-07-005-01 Human Islet Maintenance Medium, 500 mL* CS-07-005-02 Human Islet Maintenance Medium, 250 mL*
For volume discounts (starting at two plates) and shipping cost, please contact our sales staff to request a quote.
* Available only when purchased with 3D InSight™ Human Islet Microtissues.
Uniform Cellular Composition and Size Distribution
Figure 1. The 3D Select™ islet process involves the dissociation of isolated islets into a single cell suspension representing a homogenous mixture of different endocrine cell types that compose islets. Single cells are then allowed to spontaneously re-aggregate to yield a uniform cellular composition across all resulting islet microtissues in each production. Human islet microtissues do not only display homogeneous cell number and composition, but also reflect the cellular ratio of α, β, and δ cells and the tissue architecture observed in native islets.
Robust Glucose-stimulated Insulin Secretion and β-Cell Function During Prolonged Culture
Figure 2. Size (cross-sectional diameter), total ATP content, total insulin content, and glucose-stimulated insulin secretion (GSIS) of 3D InSight™ Human Islet Microtissues was assessed on day 7, 14, 21 and 28 of culture. Secreted insulin, total ATP and insulin content was normalized to the size of the microtissues in islet equivalents (IEQ; an islet with a diameter of 150 μm). Total ATP content was quantified with Promega CellTiter-Glo® Luminescent Cell Viability Assay. Total insulin content and secreted insulin were quantified with ALPCO STELLUX® Chemi Human Insulin ELISA. Data represents mean of 6 individual donors, n=6 replicates per donor. Error bars represent mean ± SEM.
Islet Microtissues Display Sensitivity to Insulin Secretagogues
Figure 3. Glucagonlike peptide-1 (GLP-1) analog Exendin-4 (100 nM), a glucose co-secretagogue was added to Krebs-Ringer buffer during GSIS. Exendin-4 significantly increased secreted insulin at 2.8 mM, 5.5 mM and 16.7 mM glucose. Somatostatin analog Octreotide (1 μM), an inhibitor of insulin secretion, was added to Krebs-Ringer buffer with 16.7 mM glucose during GSIS. Octreotide suppressed insulin secretion at 16.7 mM (F). *p < 0.05, **p<0.01 using ANOVA with Tukey's multiple comparison post hoc test. Secreted insulin was quantified with ALPCO STELLUX® Chemi Human Insulin ELISA. Data represents mean of 4 donor (GLP-1 co-stimulation) or 3 individual donors (Octreotide inhibition), n=6 replicates per donor. Error bars represent mean ± SEM.
Convenient, Assay-ready Delivery Format
Figure 4. 3D InSight™ Islet Microtissues are delivered in our patented 96-well microtissue platform. The SureXchange™ ledge enables simple medium exchange for islet maintenance and compound dosing.
- Acute and chronic efficacy testing for novel compounds in reference to characterized compounds that influence β-cell viability and/or function
- Histology-based proliferation and apoptosis assays in β-cells
- Testing of human donor-donor differences for functional β-cell and α-cell responses
- Cross species translational testing with 3D InSight™ Rat Microtissues
- Toxicity testing: Drug-induced β-cell and islet injury assays
- Caspase assays for apoptosis analysis
- Total ATP content
- Total insulin-glucagon content
- Chronic insulin-glucagon secretion
- Glucose-regulated insulin and glucagon secretion
- β-cell proliferation (PDX-1/EdU)